The abandoned neighborhood of the week

07200903_09.jpg

07200903_10.jpg

6 Responses to “The abandoned neighborhood of the week”

1. 1 Richard Sep 10th, 2010 at 9:04 am

The power of nature.

I am an archeologist and this kind of reminds me of what may have happened when the Romans left Britain. Once the inferstructure collapses nature takes over. All you then need are packs of youths / etc ’salvaging’ materials and before you know it the building is just foundations and 2 foot underground.

Liverpool where I am from has had a vast area of housing cleared, BUT crucially for us, new ones replace the ‘old’ and to new street layouts. It is up to others to comment on how long these new houses will last.

I guess turning large parts of Detroit into green belt is essentially creating a blank canvas for future developers to return (if they ever do).

Thanks for all the info you put on here, it is much appreciated and do please keep up the good work. Good luck with everything you do and perhaps Detroit can rise out of the ashes just like Liverpool can / has / will and is.

2. 2 admin Sep 10th, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Thanks for the comment Richard.

You’re right. Though, it’s not just abandoned houses that get striped, it just has to be in empty for a few days in the right area. Leave your house for a weekend in some areas, and pipes, wiring, air conditioning coils, and bricks may be gone when you get back. And it’s not just youths dismantling the structures in Detroit either. It’s a way of survival for some.

I was checking on some of the houses I’ve photographed, and many are no longer standing. In one particular area in Highland Park, many new houses had been built, and many had already been burned and abandoned. They didn’t make it five years.

Hopefully, someday in my lifetime, the developers will return, and not just to the few popular areas, but to other areas as well.

3. 3 Richard Sep 16th, 2010 at 9:05 am

Hello again thanks for the comment.

When you write such things about houses being stripped, it begs the question “where are the police when all this is happening?”

That, I guess opens up a huge can of worms.

The police prioritise their patrols in areas where there are tax payers?

Certain areas are, not necessarily ‘no go areas’ but just no point in going to areas, effectively abandoning these areas/neighbourhoods to their own devices?

Or they do patrol but only rarely and at set predictable times?

Do people turn the other cheek when seeing the tea-leafs in action?

4. 4 admin Sep 18th, 2010 at 7:02 pm

This is one of the reasons the current administration is attempting to downsize, or “right size” Detroit. Currently the city cannot afford to provide essential services to every part of the city.

Furthermore, many of the scrappers are not easily deterred. Just take a look at this article in the New York Times: Amid Blight and Scavenging, ‘Old G.M.’ Plants Linger. This is in Flint, but the bravado, or defiance, is the same. Many of the players are the same. The cycle of scrap, arrest, detention, release, scrap… repeats over and over. In many cases they have nothing to lose, and much to gain.

5. 5 Mark Baldwin Sep 8th, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I’m creating a short video about the amazing resilience of on nature in Flint and the entrepreneurial opportunities it could bring the community.
    I need some pictures of overgrown properties especially properties with homes and would like to use one of these.
    Can you help me who I need to contact for permission?
    Credit will be given in the video to the photographer for each photo used.
    Thanks for considering my request.
    With Much Gratitude
    May Sustainable Abundance be Yours

6. 6 admin Sep 11th, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Hi Mark. I’ve sent you an email regarding your request.

Thanks!